- 2 Cups fresh basil leaves (no stems)
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts (toasted)
- 2 Large cloves garlic
- ½ Cup O’Live A Little’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ Teaspoon of salt
Method of Prep:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, fill a bowl with ice water
- Once the water boils, add basil leaves and boil for approx. 20 secs. Remove immediately and place in ice water bath to cool quickly.
- Remove basil leaves and squeeze out excess water.
- Doing this above process prevents the basil leaves from turning army green a day after the pesto is made. Doing this step keeps its pretty green color for more than a week. If you are going to use all the paste within 24 hours, then it can be omitted. However, I love doing this step and being able to have pretty pesto in my fridge and use at a moment’s notice
- Combine basil leaves, pine nuts and garlic in a food processor and process until very finely minced.
- With the machine running slowly dribble in the oil and process until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the cheese and salt and process very briefly, just long enough to combine. Store in refrigerator or freezer.