Strawberry Matcha Roll Cake
This strawberry matcha roll cake is an ultimate summer treat! Delicate sponge cake flavored with Japanese green tea powder and filled with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
yield: 8 SERVINGS
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup (30gr) all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons (5gr) matcha green tea powder
- 1/2 cup (100gr) sugar, divided
- ½ cup (120ml) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons O’Live A Little’s Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- 7oz (200gr) fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
- Powdered sugar for dusting, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 375° F (190° C). Line 13x9x2-in baking pan with parchment paper. Spray on cooking spray.
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix matcha green tea powder with 1 tablespoon hot water until smooth.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and ¼ cup of sugar until pale and doubled in size, about 2 minutes. Mix in the green tea mixture. Then add flour and mix until well combined.
- In a mixing bowl with whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy. Add remaining ¼ cup of sugar one tablespoon at a time. Increase the speed to medium high and continue to beat until hard peaks form.
- Spoon half of whipped egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Mix with a spatula until smooth, and then transfer it to the remaining whipped egg whites. Carefully fold the batter until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Using an offset spatula, smooth the surface. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the pan with the parchment paper and cool completely on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, beat heavy cream, Strawberry Balsamic, sugar and green tea powder on medium speed until hard peaks. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once the cake is fully cooled, spread the whipped cream all over the cake and spread the chopped strawberries over the filling. Tightly roll the cake and cut the ends off, if desired. Refrigerate for an hour before serving. Dust with powdered sugar, slice and garnish with a sliced strawberry and drizzle of strawberry balsamic vinegar before serving