The key to this salad is fresh tomatoes, not skimping on the amount of herbs, garlic and oil and vinegar & giving the salad time to macerate before serving.
- 4-5 of the Best Large Summer Tomatoes you can find, sliced about ¼” thick
- ¼ -1/2 of a large Vidalia Onion, sliced very thin
- Fresh chopped Basil (at least 3/4 Cup)
- Fresh chopped Parsley (at least 3/4 Cup)
- Fresh chopped Oregano (at least 1/4 Cup)
- Fresh chopped Garlic (Very liberal amount.... 4-6 tablespoons)
- ¾ Cup O'Live A Little Sweet Red Wine Vinegar (Very different from grocery store variety!)
- 1 ½ Cups O'Live A Little Sicilian or Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil (your choice). But, we love a bold, peppery olive oil with this salad!
- Arrange sliced tomatoes in single layer on serving dish. Sprinkle chopped garlic and herbs evenly over tomatoes and then arrange very thinly sliced onions on top.
- Pour enough Olive Oil and red wine vinegar on top of salad so the tomatoes are at least 1/2 way submerged.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours (more is better). Let sit at room temp for 1 hours prior to serving.
- Sprinkle with black and white sea salt flakes just before serving. Provide a deep spoon so guest can scoop more dressing of platter... they will want to!
- Enjoy with a great fruity red wine!
Sadie’s Sicilian Tomato Sauce
The above salad is so delicious, wait until you cook the leftovers and use the sauce over pasta, fish, green beans or Arancini! Be sure to make extra salad, so you can make the sauce from the leftovers! You will be glad you did!
To make the sauce: Simple rough chop the remaining salad above (I chop it right on the platter or container it is in) and then pour into a fry pan and sauté until onions are tender, tomatoes have broken down and sauce has thickened (20-30 mins).